From a talk by Dr Colin Shrimpton.
One of the most notable and important responsibilities was to contain the town by building a wall, the shape of which was indicated by studying medieval maps. The size of the twon comprised of different groups of people (the total population was between 1300-1500), to whom plots of land were allotted.
Foresters coped with 6,000 acres and deer stocked the parks. A large workforce looked after gate and palings. Carter transported stock. Meat proved an advantage to the economy. There were at one time 20 butchers in Alnwick.
Animals used to be let loose to go through the town, grazing as they went, one of the reasons why Clayport is so wide.
Dr Shrimpton mentioned Pottergate Tower built in 1480, which seemed to be out of perpendicular, but actually it was the wall either side.