Alnwick Golf Club first opened in 1907. A number of locations were considered. Permission was refused for a course on The Pastures and Pennywell. Other sites, including Willowtree Burn, The “Targets” on the moor, High House Fields an Cowslip Hills, were considered but found unsuitable. Swansfield Park, however, proved to be both acceptable, and available.
The originally nine-hole course was designed by George Rochester, the professional at Alnmouth.
Clubhouse facilities were originally provided at Stoneyhills Farm, but in 1911 a proper clubhouse was built on the course.