1 Clayport

Grade II* Listed: HE Record

aka The Old Post Office

1 Clayport

The property consists of a Georgian House fronting onto Clayport Street and a range of more recent buildings attached to the rear. The listing description dates the main house to 1815 but the plaque on the wall of the house dates it to 1780. It appears from the deeds that the house was constructed in the latter part of the 18th century and modified in the mid 19th century to incorporate the carriage archway at the side. At the same time the extensive garden plot at the rear was sold off and reduced. It is possible that other internal alterations took place at this time.

The building is believed to be designed by architect William Newton who died in 1798. The main house comprises a two-storey property with attic and basement built in ashlar under a slate roof. Specific architectural features include a pedimented roof, pedimented portico with doric columns, and decorative window surrounds with arched and triangular pediments.

The property ceased to be a dwelling when it was bought by the Post Office in 1912 and further extensions were added to the rear to create the sorting office.

In 1940 the Post Office moved to new, larger premises in Fenkle Street and the building became a local government office and underwent significant internal alterations in the 1970s under the control of Alnwick District Council. Its use as a council office ceased in 2013 when it was vacated by Northumberland County Council.

The building is now being redeveloped.