This building was not always a shop. It was once known as The Temperance Hotel and was one of several temperance establishments in Alnwick. In 1842 the Alnwick Teetotal Society held their annual meeting at the Town Hall with the promise of “Tea on the Tables at 6 o’Clock precisely”.
In 1853, the United Kingdom Alliance formed to promote a law prohibiting the sale of alcohol. Legislation in this field proved ineffective and the Sale of Beer Act 1854 which restricted Sunday opening hours had to be repealed, following widespread rioting.
This building later became a general drapery business owned by two brothers, Mr John, and Mr Robert Wilkinson. They moved to the Corner House in the Market Place after outgrowing their previous premises in Bondgate. The business extended to include a renowned millinery and ladies’ department, Wilkinson’s also well known as a gentlemen’s outfitter and their large showrooms afforded “an excellent choice in all lines”.
Since 1939 the premises has been the home of Wilcox Jewellers.