Designed around 1914 for the North East Banking Company by W. H. Knowles (1857 – 1943), who also designed the Parish Hall and Lint Close (now The Friary) in Alnmouth.
The Alnwick and County Bank had been founded by William Dickson and William Woods in May, 1858, taking advantage of the collapse of the Northumberland & Durham District Bank in the previous year. Mr Dickson was a solicitor in Alnwick and Mr Woods was a Newcastle-based banker.
The Alnwick and County Bak was subsequently taken over by the North Eastern Banking Company in 1875. This amalgamated with the Bank of Liverpool in 1914, then in 1918 was acquired by Martins Bank. It changed its name to Martins Bank Limited in 1928. Martins was bought by Barclays Bank in 1969.
The building is now occupied by Halifax.