In 1860 this building was owned by William Robertson who sold teas, coffees, and general groceries.
He had a delivery service for those unable to shop in Alnwick. Orders to the country were “carefully executed with punctuality and dispatch”
William Robertson but doesn’t seem to have used “Golden Canister” until 1862 when he began using it as a feature to identify his premises.
Another occupant of this building was R. K. Wilson who built up a successful cycle business here. His shop carried the largest selection in the district, with over 50 different models to choose from including children’s Elswick tricycles, and motorcycles.
Described as one of the “progressive businesses” in Alnwick, Wilson also had a thriving radio side to his trade. He offered part exchange on old sets to intending purchasers as well as hire purchase terms on radio receivers.
Other items offered with easy payment terms included Silver Cross prams, Connor electric washers and a “very efficient vacuum cleaner at the moderate price of £4 19s 6d”.