1 mile straight at High Hobberlaw.
The first official race was April 1654. The race course later moved further east to Hobberlaw Edge. Detailed Alnwick results were first published in Bailey’s register in 1729. The Duke of Northumberland’s sporting colours of gold with a gold cap were first recorded in 1774. Moral improvements in the town and Methodism in particular led to the dissenting opposition for not only horse racing but also the popular entertaining spectacles of bull baiting and cockfighting. In July 4th 1793 Alnwick Race Course last appeared on the racing calendar. The Freemen of Alnwick were allowed to set up tents and huts free of charge on race day.
Note: Racecourse Cottage still remains.