Bog Mill

Shown on Sauthier map of 1788.


  • The corporation, for some time during the eighteenth century, had a mill on their own land of Ranwellstrother or the Bog, which hence was called the Bog Mill— a name the farm yet retains. The mill, however, was taken down and the mill-stones and mill-gear sold in 1804. it was proposed to erect a wind-mill in its stead, the expense of which with a tower 50 feet high was estimated at £526 12s. 5d.; but after deliberation, the proposition was negatived by a vote of the four-and-tweny