Building work started in 1825 on a gas works near St Michael’s church, between Ratten Row and Canongate, where Swiss Cottage now stands. It was operational by 1827, with coal being hauled by waggon from Alnmouth.
The plant was enlarged in 1859 but by the late 1870s it was realised that it would be too small for the projected increases in demand for gas.
A larger gas works was built on South Road which opened in 1882, and the Canongate works was closed soon after. The only remains are of some brickwork which formed part of a wall of one of the gas holder tanks in the Garden of Swiss Cottage.