Canongate Pants

Wood’s maps of Alnwick, dating from 1827, shows two separate pants opposite the entrance to the Kennels. They are labelled “pants”. By 1899, when ownership was transferred to the Duke, the associated legal documents show them in the form of a large trough, extending into the footpath, described as “bath and pant”. In 20th century Ordnance Survey maps they are shown as a well.