Church Pant

Tate reports that: The Church Well was repaired by the corporation in 1737; and in 1778, a new pant was erected near the church. James Johnson was paid 2s. 6d. “for cutting the Town’s arms,” (St. Michael killing the dragon). It stood on the east side of the highway leading to Canongate, at the base of the church hill.

As it interfered with some proposed improvement to the churchyard, the churchwardens applied for it to be moved to the opposite side of the road. This was agreed, on condition that the stone panel with the town’s arms should be built into the new pant, and that sufficient space should be left, so that the freemen could ride round it according to their ancient custom.