Hesleyside Mill

Mills, too, were on the town’s lands at Hesleyside for in 1682 John Fenkle was amerced 8d. “for not keeping up his gate that leads to the new mills Hesley Side.” On the opposite side of the water were the Denwick Fulling Mill and Bleachfield; the former in our own day has been converted into a corn mill, and is now occupied by Mr. Peter Eadington, the descendant of an ancient race of millers.

Skelly wrote:

  • Hesleyside, which was situated on the south side of the river, formerly belonged to the Freemen, but now forms a part of Barneyside. This was sold in 1776 to the Duke ; and with the money, the Corporation purchased other land lying to the south of the town. On the Hesleyside land, was formerly a mill, and on the opposite side of the water, was the Wyhope or Denwick Mills, long occupied by the Eadingtons, a family of “ancient millars.”