Two views of St Leonard’s Hospital
The hospital was founded in about 1200 by Eustace de Vesci, together with an independent group of monks, to pray for the soul of King Malcolm III. The hospital was later transferred to the Abbey.
The site of the hospital had disappeared until it was discovered during ploughing in 1845. An excavation was carried out in 1848, following which, some of the stones of the chapel were then re-erected following the original style. FR Wilson was involved in this work.
In 1975, an small excavation was carried out by students of Alnwick County Secondary School. The report of this work can be found below.