A handbill from the mid 1890s advertising `DOUGLAS or the noble SHEPHERD` to be performed at the Town Hall is the first record of theatre in Alnwick. A Mr King was the manager of Alnwick Theatre in 1806 where the Northumberland Lodge of Freemasons performed `WONDER! A WOMAN KEEPS A SECRET!`. In 1812, a handbill promotes `HONEYMOON or DUKE AND NO DUKE` at the Theatre Bondgate Street under the patronage of the Officers of the Percy Tenantry Volunteer Cavalry. From the 1820s, theatrical handbills and posters promoted many productions at Mr Wright`s Theatre. In December 1827 the theatre re-opened following many alterations.

By the middle of the 19th century there is a theatre located in the yard of the Nags`s Head Inn on Fenkle Street. In the 1860s this theatre was converted to a chapel (later Central Hall) and visiting performances were performed in a temporary tented theatre in the Market Place – the Alhambra Theatre.

It was 1879 before theatre goers once again had a permanent building at the Corn Exchange – The Victoria Theatre (The `Vic`). Eight years later a newly refurbished Victoria Theatre was officially opened in honour of Her Majesty`s Jubilee.

The Corn Exchange was undoubtedly a successful and popular venue but the growing feeling for a purpose-built venue, possibly on the derelict Militia Depot on Bondgate Without, was put on hold due to the Great War. During WW1 local thespians were entertained at the Camps Theatre at the Convalescent Camp.