Town Hall

The present building dates from 1736, and was built for the Freemen on the site of a toll-booth, which in turn had replaced a brewhouse. As well as being their meeting place, it was also used as the town courthouse. Its main upper chamber is accessed by an external staircase in the Market Place. The clock tower was added in 1767.